The revolutionary advantages of LEDs in comparison to the conventional HPS lights are:
· Economic electricity consumption – LED grow lights utilize up 50% of the energy that HPS systems use and some experts anticipate even a higher LEDs efficiency in the near future
· Longer lifespan / lamp durability – LEDs have a longer life span in comparison to the HPS lights; for the comparison’s sake, the HPS lamps can last for 1 year while the LEDs might last even up to 8 years (which translates into 50 000 hours of use)
· Smaller spaces convenience – as the LED grow lamps can be set closer to the plants, the growing space does not need to be extremely high or wide
· Energy efficiency – with LED grow lights it is possible to optimize the spectrum by concentrating energy on wavelengths (colors) that are most beneficial for each application and plant. In addition, reduced heat production allows putting LED fixtures closer to plants ensuring less light is lost elsewhere.
· Fire safety – as LEDs do not become very warm in comparison to the conventional HPS lamps they are safer to use
· Better crops – various trials have shown that LED grow lights produce better crops in terms of plants getting bigger and growing faster, compared to the HPS lights. Additionaly, LEDs can be made with a spectrum aimed at a specific goal such as anthocyanin accumulation, flowering inhibition, enhanced rooting etc.