Discover Revolutionary Advantages of LED Grow Lights
In its early stages, LED technology was perceived as rather impractical and cost-inefficient. With the newest technology advances LED grow lights production has become cost-effective. Additionally, the range of available LED chip types facilitated the development of a more efficient plant cultivation industry. When set side-by-side with the traditional HPS (high-pressure-sodium) systems, LEDs win in terms of energy efficiency, the quality of plants cultivated as well as environmental friendliness.
LEDs are simple but powerful, energy-efficient plant growth lamps in comparison to the predominantly used HPS lights that are gradually being perceived as bulky yet less robust. HPS lamps have a shorter life span which makes them more expensive in the long run. The heat emitted by HPS lamps is sometimes good and effective in greenhouse settings but makes them practically useless for vertical farms or growth chambers. LEDs are faster switching, more compact (smaller in size), and are perceived as more beneficial for the environment. In addition, LED grow lights release less incandescent heat which affects the moisture and nutrition requirements of plants. The small amount of heat that is emitted is emitted upwards and away from plants unlike with HPS where the heat goes directly onto them increasing the leaf surface temperature and sometimes burning the plants.
In essence, the revolutionary advantages of LEDs in comparison to the conventional HPS lights are:
· Economic electricity consumption – LED grow lights utilize up 50% of the energy that HPS systems use and some experts anticipate even a higher LEDs efficiency in the near future
· Longer lifespan / lamp durability – LEDs have a longer life span in comparison to the HPS lights; for the comparison’s sake, the HPS lamps can last for 1 year while the LEDs might last even up to 8 years (which translates into 50 000 hours of use)
· Smaller spaces convenience – as the LED grow lamps can be set closer to the plants, the growing space does not need to be extremely high or wide
· Energy efficiency – with LED grow lights it is possible to optimize the spectrum by concentrating energy on wavelengths (colors) that are most beneficial for each application and plant. In addition, reduced heat production allows putting LED fixtures closer to plants ensuring less light is lost elsewhere.
· Fire safety – as LEDs do not become very warm in comparison to the conventional HPS lamps they are safer to use
· Dimming – while the majority of HPS lamps use the full light intensity, LED grow lights can dim even with a remote control or via an app and therefore are easier to handle, apart from consuming less power
· Better crops – various trials have shown that LED grow lights produce better crops in terms of plants getting bigger and growing faster, compared to the HPS lights. Additionaly, LEDs can be made with a spectrum aimed at a specific goal such as anthocyanin accumulation, flowering inhibition, enhanced rooting etc.
· More environment safety – due to the fact that less heat is emitted and that UV light can be added in LED lamps, there is less chance for bacteria and mold formation which subsequently means less pesticides and less environment pollution